What data sources are currently in the solution, and what data sources will be included in future builds?
Insight includes data from several systems, including: PAYPERS, PERHIS, PAYTA, ABCO, PMSO, LIST, and select EmpowHR elements.
Additional data sources (such as RETM, daily Time & Attendance data for all NFC-hosted webTA and PayCheck8 customers, etc.) will be incorporated in future builds. Third party data sources may be included by request. Costs associated with third party data will be determined based on agency requirements.
How many years of data will be in Insight?
The following historical data is available for each Subject Area:
- Workforce Profile: Bi-weekly historical data are available for a rolling 2-year timeframe (most recent 27 Pay Periods) for each pay period ranging back to Pay Period 1 of 2011. EmpowHR data is available ranging back to Pay Period 26 of 2013. Daily data will be available for a given pay period until BEAR runs for that pay period.
- Personnel History: Data ranging back to January 1st of 1992 or the date your agency began as an NFC customer, whichever is more recent.
- Payroll Accounting System: Data ranging back to Pay Period 01 of 2013.
- Position Management System Online: Data ranging back to Pay Period 26 of 2013.
Note: Historical biweekly snapshots are available for a rolling 2-year timeframe (most recent 27 Pay Periods). Daily data will be available for a given pay period until BEAR runs for that pay period.
- Administrative Billings and Collections: No historical data. ABCO is refreshed on a periodic daily basis to include up-to-date results.
How often is Insight data refreshed?
Insight is updated on a daily, weekly, and bi-weekly basis for payroll and personnel data, similar to NFC's other reporting tools. There is a data refresh report available in Insight to help you determine when data was last refreshed. To access this report, go to Catalog >> Shared Folders >> Insight System Reports.
Below, see information about when each Subject Area in Insight is updated:
- Workforce Profile/EmpowHR and PMSO: Updated daily (after PINE) and bi-weekly (after BEAR)
- PERHIS and PACS: Updated bi-weekly (after BEAR)
- ABCO: Updated on a periodic daily basis after billing cycle
For the data refresh schedule navigate to the Data Transition Overview.
Is a data dictionary available for Insight?
Yes, a data dictionary is available on the Resource Materials page. The data dictionary provides data element names in Insight and the source of that element from the respective NFC system. It also lists the location and description of those data elements within the current subject areas of Insight as well as information for mapping data elements to applicable FOCUS names.
Filters - When creating an ad hoc report or dashboard, what filters do I need to add?
Because Insight contains a large amount of data, users should verify they are only pulling in data that answers the business question of the report or dashboard.
Insight users should create filters for the lowest denominator of data, such as creating a filter for a specific agency rather than viewing data for all agencies.
Recommended filters and elements for each subject area are summarized in the Subject Area Reporting Requirements QRC as well as in the guides outlined below:
|Workforce Profile (WFP)||Organization, Pay Period Number, and Year|
|Personnel History (PERHIS)||Organization, Personnel Action Effective Date|
|Payroll Accounting System (PACS)||Organization Processed and Covered Pay Period Number|
|Position Management System Online (PMSO)||Organization Pay Period Number and Year|
My report shows a “No results” message. Is this an error?
This is not necessarily an error, and there are several explanations for why this could have occurred, including:
- There is no data for the specific filters in the report. For example, if a user runs a report to view all of the NOA codes processed in a given timeframe, but no actions were processed in the selected timeframe.
- When a dashboard is opened, the dashboard will default to "No Results." Users should complete the required prompts at the top of the dashboard to view results.
The Insight Operational Tips resource may provide additional information. For further issue resolution assistance, users should please contact the NFC Help Desk.
I added data elements in the Criteria tab but when I click on the Results tab, those data elements do not show up in my report. How do I get these data elements to appear?
If data elements were added in the Criteria tab but do not appear in the report, right-click on any column in the report and select the “Include Column” menu option. Here, there will be a listing of data elements to add to the report, including the ones added in the Criteria tab. Select the targeted data elements to add to the report. To change the order of the new columns, either right-click the new column and select “Move Column” or hover over the column heading, click, and drag the column to the appropriate position.
How can I make a report run faster?
Adding filters on appropriate data elements will enable reports to run as quickly as possible. Required filters include organization (especially AGENCY_CODE) and calendar/timeframe data elements.
Why is my report showing an error message?
Please see the Operational Tips Resource for solutions to several commonly encountered errors. For further defect resolution assistance, please contact the NFC Contact Center (NCC).
What is the difference between Subject Areas?
The following chart highlights key information about each Subject Area.
|Subject Area||FOCUS Term Equivalent||Mainframe Equivalent||Description||Examples|
|Workforce Profile (WFP) including EmpowHR||PAYPERS||IRIS||Profile information from PPS and select EmpowHR elements||Roster reports including both current and historical rosters|
|Personnel History (PERHIS)||PERHIS||IRIS||A listing of personnel actions that have been processed for individuals at a given agency||Listing of NOA codes processed in a specified timeframe.
Note: If no actions were taken for an employee during a specific timeframe, the employee will not appear in the report
|Payroll Accounting System (PACS)||PAYTA||PINQ||A listing of Pay and Time and Attendance transactions, divided into multiple sub-Subject Areas based on the type of data||Pay transactions in a given pay period or pay periods, such as time charged to labor activities|
|Position Management System Online (PMSO)||PMSO||PMSO||Provides a listing of all position information for vacant and filled positions||A listing of all vacant, filled, and inactive positions|
Are there descriptions for various codes in Insight?
Yes, most codes also have a description data element. For example, the data element TYPE_APPOINTMENT_CODE has a description data element, TYPE_APPOINTMENT_CODE_DESCR.
For a listing of description elements, please consult the Data Dictionary.
Is the data in Insight overwritten with the bi-weekly BEAR file?
After BEAR runs for a pay period, the Workforce Profile daily data is removed from Insight. For example, users can see the daily profile snapshots for each day in a pay period until BEAR runs for that pay period. Once BEAR runs, users can see the Workforce Profile biweekly snapshot because the most up-to-date daily information is now included in BEAR.
Are separations updated on a daily basis?
Yes, separations are updated daily in Workforce Profile. Users will see the separations reflected in PERHIS once BEAR runs for that pay period. For example, if an employee separates and the separation is effective the third day of the pay period:
- The Workforce Profile daily fact/roster for the following day after the action is effective will include this person with a Separation Accession Type of 1 (indicating they have separated).
- The Workforce Profile biweekly fact/roster, which will be created for the pay period after BEAR runs, will show this person with a Separation Accession Type of 1.
- Note: Once BEAR runs for that pay period, users will no longer be able to see the daily snapshots for that pay period.
- In PERHIS, users see the transaction once the BEAR file runs for that pay period.
After Build 2, why am I not able to run a previously created ad hoc PACS report?
A user will receive an error when running a previously created ad hoc PACS report developed before Build 2 Go-Live due to the PACS model redesign. All previously developed ad hoc PACS reports will need to recreated using the new relevant PACS Subject Area.