Deposits and redeposits can be made by employees now serving under CSRS; by separated employees who are entitled (or would be entitled after paying for service) to an annuity; or by eligible widows, widowers, or former spouses of deceased employees. An applicant for retirement is automatically given an opportunity to make the deposit for nondeduction service performed on or after October 1, 1982, and any redeposit when the application for retirement is processed. An applicant for retirement must specifically request an opportunity to make a deposit for nondeduction service performed before October 1, 1982. An employee should not file an application to make deposit or redeposit if he or she contemplates retirement within 6 months.
Deposit is a payment to the retirement fund to cover a period of civilian service during which no retirement deductions were withheld from your salary (also called "nondeduction" service).
Redeposit is a payment to the retirement fund to cover a period of service for which retirement reductions were withheld from your salary and later refunded to you.
Below are the procedures for those interested in making a Deposit/Redeposit.
- Applicant must complete Part A of Standard Form (SF) 2803, Application to Make Deposit or Redeposit-CSRS, or follow the link to complete Part A of the fillable version of the SF 2803 at http://www.opm.gov/forms/standard-forms/.
- Bring the SF 2803 to the Human Resources Benefits Specialist for completion of Part B and other needed documentation.
- Your application and other pertinent information will be forwarded to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
- Instructions for making payment together with a statement for the amount due will be sent to you from OPM, as soon as the processing of your application is completed.
- Contact your Human Resources Benefits Specialist if you wish to make payment in full or to make arrangements for payroll deductions. Installment payments of at least $25 are acceptable. However, interest accrues on any unpaid balance.
- A receipt should be obtained once the deposit/redeposit and interest is paid in full.
- The Human Resources Benefit Specialist should be provided with a copy of this receipt. A personnel action will be processed; adjustments will be made to service computation dates, which would include this service in your civilian retirement computation.