Skip to Main Content

National Finance Center

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Additional Links
Contact Us

Office of Workers' Compensation Programs

The Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA) (5 U.S.C. 8101 et seq.) is administered by the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP) of the U.S. Department of Labor. It provides compensation benefits to Federal civilian employees of the United States for disability due to personal injury sustained while in the performance of duty or to employment-related disease. Compensation would include wage-loss benefits for total or partial disability, monetary benefits for permanent loss of use of a schedule member, medical benefits, and vocational rehabilitation. The FECA also provides for the payment of benefits to dependents if the injury or disease causes the employee's death. Benefits cannot be paid if the injury or death is caused by the willful misconduct of the employee or by the employee's intention to bring about his or her injury or death or that of another, or if intoxication (by alcohol or drugs) is the proximate cause of the injury or death.

Additional information may be obtained by visiting: About OWCP.

Introduction to the ECOMP Claims Process

Reporting a workplace incident and filing a claim for compensation require different forms, depending upon your employment status and Government organization.


By using ECOMP for form filing, you will be able to manage the entire process from your Employee Dashboard. You can get to your Employee Dashboard by clicking "Sign In/Register" on the home page, but first you should learn about the forms you can file in your specific Agency. To find out what forms you can file, click on "File a Form" on the home page and enter your Agency information. Usually, to file a notice of injury, you should start by reporting the incident using Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Form 301 (Injury and Illness Incident Report). ECOMP will guide you through the process.

After filing an OSHA Form 301, if you wish to file a claim under the Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA), you can file a claim using Form CA-1 (Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation) or Form CA-2 (Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation).

To register in ECOMP and File a Form visit:

More Information

Last Updated / Reviewed: August 11, 2023