Post 1956 MIL Service Deposits
Military service credit deposits into the CSRS or FERS retirement system may be made by Federal employees for honorable active military service performed after 1956 in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard. Deposits may also be made for honorable active service after June 30, 1960, in the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, and after June 30, 1961, in the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and its predecessor Agency. More detailed information may be obtained from Chapter 23 of the CSRS/FERS Handbook at http://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/csrsfers-handbook/.
Procedures to Make a Military Deposit (CSRS and FERS)
- Employees must complete a RI 20-97, Estimated Earnings during Military Service, and mail to the appropriate military finance center with a copy of the DD Form 214. A list of the appropriate mailing addresses for Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is located at http://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/customerservice.
- The appropriate military finance center will complete the form and send estimated earnings notification to the employee.
- When the notification is received, the employee must complete the personal information on SF 2803, Application to Make Deposit or Redeposit (CSRS), or SF 3108, Application to Make Service Credit Payment (FERS), as appropriate. The SF 2803 and SF 3108 are located at http://www.opm.gov/forms/standard-forms/.
- Employees must complete Part A of the appropriate form, along with the RI 20-97 and DD Form 214, then bring/forward the application to the Agency’s Human Resources Benefit Specialist for completion and certification.
- The Human Resources Benefit Specialist will compute the amount of deposit owed including interest.
- Employee may elect to make a one-time payment in full or choose to make arrangements for payroll deductions. Installments of at least $25 are acceptable. However, interest accrues on the unpaid balance.
- Instructions for making payment together with a statement for the amount due will be sent to you from OPM, as soon as the processing of your application is completed.
- A receipt should be obtained once the deposit including interest is paid in full.
- The Human Resources Benefit Specialist should be provided with a copy of this receipt. A personnel action will be processed; adjustments will be made to service computation dates, which would include this service in your civilian retirement computation.