Assistance with QSRs
If an employee claims non-receipt of salary, the Agency should verify on PINQ Screen 032 whether a T&A (Time and Attendance) processed for the pay period was issued. If the T&A is not processed through the automated system, the T&A was either not received by NFC or did not clear the edit process. It is vital that the agency transmits a T&A for the relevant pay period so that collection is made from the appropriate salary payment.
In order to pay the employee quickly, the agency can use one of the following two processes:
QSR (Quick Service Request)
When to Process a QSR
- Late accession, expired NTE (not to exceed) date on IRIS 102, or other personnel processing issue
- Absence of check mailing address on IRIS 124,
- Late or Missing T&A Report
When NOT to Process a QSR
- Employee is terminated
- Payment has already been made through the automated PPS (Payroll/Personnel System) or manual payment process
- When the T&A is viewable on PQ023
- Employee was not paid for a prior pay period but has since received a payment for a subsequent pay period through the automated payment system
The QSR option is for processing an advance of net salary when the corresponding T&A can be transmitted to be processed with the next PAYE cycle
The QSR is processed by the agency through the SPPS Mainframe application. It is designed for entering data for the current processing pay period and three consecutive prior pay periods. Only one QSR record can be processed for a single pay period.
Users should enter QSR data based on criteria established by the Agency personnel office. SPPS processes the QSR payment for the specified pay period.
The amount of the QSR disbursed is the approximate anticipated net pay for the employee and is computed at 70% of the biweekly gross pay of 80-hours tour of duty, based on the database scheduled salary. Alternatively, a specific amount can be keyed in by the processing clerk.
QSR transactions are released in the SPPS Mainframe and scheduled for disbursement on the Manual Pay Schedule daily at approximately 11 a.m. Central Standard Time (CST).
With the certification of the QSR payment (much like a loan), the system automatically generates a receipt account (RA) or bill for collection, which is set to collect at 100% from the next system generated payment.
This RA is viewable on IRIS 114. It is vital that the agency transmits a T&A for the relevant pay period so that collection is made from the appropriate salary payment, as the RA does not distinguish specific pay periods.
The RA is reversed after processing of the T&A(s) that satisfies the established RA amount. If a T&A is not transmitted before the processing of the following pay period, the payment will be collected against the T&A transmitted for the current processing pay period.
An employee was not paid for PP03. Based on the reason, a QSR is processed to pay the employee 70% of their gross pay. This payment is treated as a loan until the very next T&A is paid, ideally this should be the employee’s PP03 T&A. Once the QSR is processed an RA (bill/IOU) is automatically established in the PPS waiting to be satisfied. When the PP03 T&A is received and processed, the system will satisfy the RA by collecting the amount of the QSR and disbursing any remaining funds. If for any reason the employee’s net amount of their PP03 T&A is not enough to satisfy the bill, the remaining balance will be collected from a subsequent T&A. If the agency fails to submit the employee’s PP03 T&A, the RA will collect from PP04. This will seemingly cause the employee to think they were not paid for PP04.
Reminder: It is vital that the agency transmits a T&A for the relevant pay period so that collection is made from the appropriate salary payment, as the RA does not distinguish specific pay periods.
For more information, please go to the Special Payroll Processing System Mainframe Procedure.
QSW (Quick Service Wire, or "14-Liner")
When to Process a QSR
- When salary advance format (QSR) is not applicable
About the QSW
- The QSW option is the manual processing of the employee’s T&A in SPPS web by NFC.
- Payment is based entirely on authority of request.
- Conflicting data in the employee’s master file or on the T&A will be disregarded.
- Actual Net pay is disbursed on the 11:00am Central time manual schedule.
- No corresponding T&A should be transmitted.
- QSW requests should be submitted via SPPS Web. In SPPS Web, use the Attachment tab to include a 14-line document listing ALL the following information in the following order:
- Name and Social Security Number
- Reason for QSW (i.e. terminated employee)
- T&A contact point, accounting station and POI
- Grade, Step, Shift (wage grade)
- Annual Adjusted Salary (or hourly rate for wage grade) COLA/Post Diff percentage
- FLSA code
- Pay Period (to be paid)
- Hours and Transaction Codes to be paid
- Agency Accounting to charge
- Federal and State Tax withholding codes
- Benefit deductions and related data (ex: health benefit plan code, retirement coverage code, life insurance codes and age bracket)
- Check Mailing Address (or EFT routing and account numbers)
- Authorized Agency Representative (TMGT Table 063 Contact Type 07)
- Contact Phone number
HR and Payroll Assistance
Help Desk Information
- Toll Free Number: 1-855-NFC4GOV (1-855-632-4468)
- Hours of Operation: 6:30 AM to 5:00 PM Central Time, Monday through Friday (except for Federal holidays)
ONLY Payroll/Personnel and EmpowHR authorized Servicing Personnel Office (SPO) representatives listed in TMGT Table 063, Contact Type 01, 06, and 11, are authorized to contact the NFC Contact Center about QSRs and QSWs.
Callers who are hearing or speech impaired:
Federal Relay Services