RETIRE 20-02, Submission of Retirement Cases in ServiceNow
Published: June 18, 2020
Effective: Pay Period 11, 2020
The National Finance Center (NFC) is excited to announce the capability for authorized Agency representatives to utilize NFC’s ServiceNow self-service portal to create service requests for retirement and military service deposits. The new ServiceNow catalogs were made available to the Agencies as of June 1, 2020. This ServiceNow implementation includes the following types of documents:
- Retirement case submissions
- Retirement inquiries
- Military service deposit case submissions
- Military service deposit case inquiries
Creating tickets via the ServiceNow self-service portal provides both NFC and Agencies with the following benefits:
- Traceability throughout the ticket lifecycle.
- Capability to quickly update ticket which then provides immediate visibility.
- Reduction in completion and resolution time for customer requests.
- Certainty that only authorized Agency representatives submit inquiries.
- Availability 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Concurrent with this new functionality, NFC's Retirement Processing Section (RPS) and Military Deposit and Reconciliation Section (MDRS) will be transitioning away from accepting customer requests via individual NFC email accounts, as well as the RPS and MDRS mailboxes. NFC will also conduct a validation of Agency submitters within 60 days of implementation to ensure all Agencies have the access they need going forward.
Agencies should begin entering cases and inquiries via ServiceNow starting June 1, 2020. The full implementation for case submissions will be completed by June 8, 2020, and the full implementation of inquiries will be completed by August 1, 2020.
Our internal process will remain the same during this transition period. Beginning August 1, 2020, any inquiries received via email boxes (e.g.,and ) will be returned to the Agency unprocessed.
Updated to accept retirement and military service deposit cases.
Modifications have been made to update ServiceNow for the electronic submission of retirement and military service deposit cases via ServiceNow. The flow of retirement processing is outlined below.
Retirement Processing via ServiceNow:
- NFC receives annuity cases with attachments from the Agency via ServiceNow.
- The technician verifies the attachments.
- The application is entered in the Retirement System (RETM).
- The technician processes the retirement package (Individual Retirement Record (IRR) and supporting documents).
- The nightly cycle processes.
- The Electronic Data Exchange Gateway (DEG) file is transmitted to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
- The IRR card is generated by RETM.
- The technician completes the ServiceNow Request.
- The Register and supporting final files are sent to OPM via Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP).
Authorized Agency representatives can find the new service request catalogs on the ServiceNow Web site atfor non-Federated users and for Federated users.
For your convenience, the NFC Business Service Management ServiceNow Customer Service Portal User Guide can be found at.
The procedure manual for this application, which is available online at the NFC Web site, is being updated to include the information in this bulletin. To view this procedure, selectfrom the drop-down menu on the NFC Home page. At the page, select the tab and select the applicable category to access the procedure manual within the category.
Authorized Agency representatives should log in to the ServiceNow portal to validate their access, review the new Retirement and Military Service Deposit catalog items, and provide any questions to the ServiceNow Team at.
For questions about NFC processing, authorized Servicing Personnel Office representatives should contact the NFC Contact Center ator via ServiceNow.