Most Often Misused NOACs
Subscribe to Processing Tips
OPM uses Nature of Action Codes (NOAC) to identify the different types of personnel actions. NOACs in the 9XX series are used for certain payroll/personnel processes and agency unique requirements. All NOAC’s are listed in TMGT Table 061, Nature of Action Conversion.
Agency and OPM personnel processing manuals provide guidance for preparing personnel actions; however, there are at least three NOACs that are consistently misused in the Payroll Personnel Processing System (PPS). These NOACs are:
- 800 Change in Data Element: This NOAC is only used when one or more of the following fields change. The NOAC is not used when other fields change at the same time as these fields.
- agency code,
- annuitant indicator,
- bargaining unit status (BUS),
- FLSA category,
- occupational code,
- pay rate determinant,
- Personnel Office Identifier (POI), and
- position occupied.
- 792 Change in Duty Station: This NOAC is used when ONLY the duty station is changing – it cannot be used if ANY other change is occurring on the personnel action. Some POIs are trying to use the 792 for duty station changes that move the employee into a different locality pay area. When locality pay is changing NOAC 792 should not be used. We recommend using NOAC 721 - Reassignment. While OPM does permit the use of NOAC 894, General Adjustment, it does not accurately reflect the duty station change.
- 903 Change In Non-CDPF Data Element: This NOAC is not an official OPM approved action and is only used to document payroll or system changes such as:
- 903/MIL to enter the hourly rate by which the civilian salary must be off-set for employees using the 22-days off-set military leave under Title 5, Section 6323(b);
- 903/ZOO when the employee has a birthday which results in the placement of the employee in a higher FEGLI premium rate; or
- 903 when the position sensitivity code or official title code changes in PMSO.
Some POIs are using the 903 to document changes to PMSO Central Personnel Data File (CPDF) fields. OPM requires an official valid personnel action when a CPDF field changes. In PMSO these fields include the bargaining unit status, duty station, FLSA, occupational series, LEO indicator, occupational function, organization structure, PATCOB, pay plan, pay table and supervisory status. The POI must process an appropriate official NOAC when one or more of these fields change.
- Bulletins on the NFC home page
- EPIC Procedure
- OPM guidance on the OPM web site